WIP Progress–January 2013

31 Jan

I’m not sure why I said I would update at the end of February, my intention was always to update at the end of every month. Probably because I started mid-month. Regardless here is my end of January update!

Previous WIP update for reference.

I was sick for 1 week, spent 4 unexpected days on a trip, and spent a lot of time on the Saskatoon Modern Quilt Guild, so I am pleased with my progress. Here we go!

1. Skill Builder BOM at Pile O’ Fabric

Okay I am behind, as expected. My fabric just arrived this week. My Aurifil colour card also arrived this week so I picked my thread for the QAYG based on the fabric and I’ll order the thread tomorrow. So I am behind, but I should be caught up by the end of February. But here is my fabric stack:

End of Jan WIP (10 of 10)_thumb[1]

2. Lucky Stars BOM at Don’t Call me Betsy

My Lizzy House Constellations arrived. And I pulled a few other solids. I will likely be adding throughout the year. Here is my stack so far:

End of Jan WIP (9 of 10)_thumb[2]

I finished the practice block as well. I might turn it into a bag, Carly at Citric Sugar posted a wonderful QAYG tutorial on the Saskatoon Modern Quilt Guild blog that I want to follow.

Don’t look too closely. It is FAR from perfection, but it is my first paper pieced block. I learned a lot of valuable lessons, like make sure your fabric actually covered the entire area, before you sew with an impossibly short stitch length. I also discovered that life is too short for seam ripping on a practice block.

End of Jan WIP (3 of 10)_thumb[1]

3.  Zig Zag Quilt for Addie – No progress this month, will I get it done for her birthday? 2 months to find out!

4. Madrona Road challenge for the Saskatoon Modern Quilt Guild

I have until February 24th to complete this. I decided on the lattice quilt from From the Blue Chair. I am about 75% done piecing the blocks. So I just need to finish that, press, trim, top, back, quilt. No big deal.

End of Jan WIP (5 of 10)_thumb[1]

5. Simply Solids: a modern {bee} at Sew at Home Mommy

I am the queen bee for February and the pattern I picked is Converging Corners. I will wait to see what I get from my bee mates before I do any myself. The base is Kona Snow. This is ongoing all year – so I’m sure you’ll see my quilt coming together and the blocks I’ll be making for others. So far I have received 5 blocks – and they are starting to look so pretty together!

End of Jan WIP (7 of 10)_thumb[1]

6. Small Private Bee – No progress

7. Postage Stamp Quilt for my nephew – No progress

8. Handstiched Camp Quilt – No progress

9.  Waiting for Spring Block-a-palooza – No progress

10. Patchwork Squared Modern Solids Quilt-a-long – No progress

New Additions

11. Name tag for the Saskatoon Modern Quilt Guild

I need a name-tag. I have never made one. My first attempt was an epic fail..so it’s back to the drawing board. Don’t believe me? Here she is:

End of Jan WIP (6 of 10)_thumb[2]

12. Ugly Fat Quarter Challenge for the SMQG

We each brought an ugly fat quarter, threw them in a sack and picked one out. Mine isn’t even that ugly (there were some real peaches in the bunch though, I promise you that). I can make anything I want with it, I have no ideas so far.

End of Jan WIP (8 of 10)_thumb[2]

13. do. Good Stitches Charity Bee

I got my assignment this week. I am hosting one of the circles and am acting a quilter. It’s really important to me that I use my powers for good, not evil, so this will be a priority. I won’t announce any more details until my circle has been apprised of the change, but I will have an update soon!

14. New Baby Quilt

There is going to be a new baby in my life! No more details just yet, but I will be making a quilt in the next 6 months.

February is a challenge. For one it’s a short month, and secondly my family is going to Arizona for a week! We need the warmth after a week of deep freeze (-50 Celsius is no joke people!) so I’m looking forward to it. Anyone have any LQSs to recommend in the Phoenix/Mesa area? I’ll try to hit them up. My focus this month will be catching up in my BOMs and finishing the Madrona Road Challenge.

13 Responses to “WIP Progress–January 2013”

1. Mama Sews Best January 31, 2013 at 10:35 PM #

Wow, you are one busy lady!

• Jaclyn February 1, 2013 at 7:44 PM #

Always…also slightly insane.

2. Patti February 1, 2013 at 11:37 AM #

Nice group of projects Jaclyn! Converging Corners is already looking amazing! Lucky you, getting an Aurifil colour card. About that name tag…..umm….too darn funny! Of course, I haven’t done mine either! I shall not judge!

• Jaclyn February 1, 2013 at 7:44 PM #

Yeah, time to get on your name tag ;) And I’m willing to share my colour card if you ever need it.

3. citricsugar February 1, 2013 at 12:32 PM #

Holy cow! You’ve got a lot going on, lady! I have been experimenting with the ‘peach’ you threw in the pillowcase… I’ve got to stop though, or I’ll run out of yucky fabric. Not a lot is working so far…. haha. [Sigh. Wipes tear.]

• citricsugar February 1, 2013 at 12:34 PM #

Forgot to say how much I love your name tag! :-) Fail, yes, but clearly a well-intentioned one.

• Jaclyn February 1, 2013 at 7:57 PM #

Totally! (I’m sticking to that if anyone asks)

• Jaclyn February 1, 2013 at 7:45 PM #

Yeah…good luck with that ;)

4. Holly February 3, 2013 at 6:05 PM #

Hi Jaclyn! I was just reading the Saskatoon MQG blog and wanted to learn more about Carly’s partner-in-crime. It turns out I was just on your blog this week reading about your Janome 7700 while I was researching new sewing machines. I ended up buying one and it arrives tomorrow!

Your bee blocks are looking great and I think you’ll have a beautiful quilt when you’re finished. Looks like you’ve had fun pulling fabric for your Skill Builder BOM!

I’m glad I’ve found your blog and am now a follower. I always love connecting with other Canadian quilters, especially leaders of MQGs!

• Jaclyn February 3, 2013 at 11:21 PM #

How exciting on your new machine! I hope you love it. Thanks for stopping by, I love meeting new quilting peeps, I’ll be sure to hop on over to your blog as well.

• Holly February 4, 2013 at 11:28 AM #

Hi Jaclyn! I’m sure I’ll love it! I’m currently sewing on a 15 year old cheapo Singer so this is a huge upgrade! I just realized that I’ve been emailing you about BigTent and MailChimp and I just didn’t connect your blog with those emails until now. Sometimes you have to meet more than once online before you make that connection!

• Jaclyn February 4, 2013 at 1:11 PM #

Oh hey! That’s funny. Yes sometimes it does take a few passes to see the connection.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks