Since putting up my design wall 3 weeks ago it has seen a lot of use. It’s a good place to put up blocks and see how they look together, store things I’m not working on so they don’t get wrinkled in piles and take pictures of completed blocks.
Unfortunately my cheap solution was not working well. The batting I bought to cover the wall was too lofty and as a result things were not sticking well enough. All of the larger blocks had to be pinned and more than once I went to my sewing room only to find all my carefully arranged blocks on the floor.
I looked around online some more and decided to go with white felt this time around. It was cheaper than a king sized batting, the only problem if that it was not wide enough to cover the entire surface, but it was the only thing I could find. So $48 later my felt arrived from www.fabric.com.
Yesterday my husband and in-laws helped re-wrap the wall.
There is a seam which we decided to do nothing about, just pulled it taught and let it be. It doesn’t seem to cause any problems and was the simplest solution.
I’m happy to report that the blocks stick much better to this surface and I managed to get an entire twin sized quilt on it today.
No more pins!
Slowly my sewing room is coming together. Next up I need a higher table and a proper chair. That folding card table chair is not cutting it anymore and the height of the table makes my back ache when I have to cut for any length of time.