Janome Horizon 7700

8 Mar

Well the day has finally arrived! After sewing for a year and being fully convinced that quilting is a hobby I will continue for years, my husband agreed that I could get a brand new, much better quality sewing machine!

I read hundreds of reviews online and finally settled on the Janome Horizon 7700 QCP for a combination of price, good reviews and features. It truly does have every feature I’ve been wishing for in a machine.

Horizon (1 of 6)

I spent a lot of time tonight unpacking the box and reading the manual. Because I am actually new to sewing and have only ever used my previous machine I wanted to make sure I wasn’t breaking anything. My old machine has zero features compared to the Horizon.

The Horizon also came with a ton of feet, this is only half of them, the other half are stored in the bottom.

Horizon (2 of 6)

Eventually I worked up the courage to wind a bobbin and thread the machine and test out some of the features.

Horizon (3 of 6)

I sews like a dream! It is really quiet and smooth. I love the needle down option. I worked a little with the automatic threader (love!) and the automatic thread cutter (still reserved).

I was hoping this machine would start stitching without bunching up the thread but it seems just as bad as my old machine. Sewing veterans, help a girl out, is this normal?

Horizon (4 of 6)

Unless I sent a scrap through first this happened at the start every single time, both using the automatic cutter and pulling the threads longer. Looks like I might have to continue using scraps to start every row of stitches.

The knee lifter is amazing! I still don’t have it positioned quite right partially because my chair is too low compared to the table but I’ll continue to fiddle with it. It is really great not having to use your hands to lift the presser foot.

Horizon (5 of 6)

Overall I’m really happy so far. Obviously the true test will be the months and years to come. I’ll be sure to keep posting my thoughts as I learn more about the machine (and sewing in general).

Horizon (6 of 6)

It even came with a goodnight cover (and a rolling travel case).

25 Responses to “Janome Horizon 7700”

1. Wendy March 9, 2011 at 6:48 AM #

That is weird that you have bunching at the start of every row. You’ll have to take a video of yourself and we can see what you are doing! That shouldn’t be happening. Do you hold the tails when you start? Are the threads out of the way?

• Wendy March 9, 2011 at 6:49 AM #

Beautiful machine by the way!

• Jaclyn March 9, 2011 at 9:38 AM #

Thanks Wendy,

No I don’t usually hold the tails, should I be doing that? The auto cutter cuts them so short I’m not even sure I could (which kind of defeats the purpose) but I could if I cut the tails longer. The threads are out of the way though. I’ll have to tinker with it and like you said maybe take a video.

• Wendy March 9, 2011 at 8:59 PM #

I’m trying to think what I do… it’s automatic! I think I might hold them down for the first stitch or two? I honestly don’t know. But that is what I would try if I was you. Looks like something is just looping back on itself. I don’t have the fancy schmancy automatic thread cutter though… 🙂

And my second thought is wondering if it is threaded right. I know I get serious rats nests if my upper thread isn’t threaded properly. But I don’t think that is your problem because yours actually sews. 😀 And you’ve read the manual.

• Jaclyn March 9, 2011 at 10:22 PM #

Okay so I looked tonight and when you use the auto thread cutter the tails are not even visible. They kind of get sucked back into the machine! Tomorrow night I’ll check the threading and make sure everything is lined up properly.

2. hilary March 9, 2011 at 10:07 PM #

Congrats on the new machine! Looks amazing! I sometimes have that problem too on my machine (a Babylock), but only when sewing garments. I wonder if your machine has an automatic reinforce setting that is currently on and is causing that backstitch tangle? It looks like it’s stitching over itself. I always have it off when doing patchwork and the problem never arises. If that’s not it, I got a book out from the library on machine quilting by Diane Gandynski which has all kinds of tips for avoiding “bird’s nests”; not sure if that’s exactly what you’ve got going on, but definitely check it out!

• Jaclyn March 9, 2011 at 10:24 PM #

Thanks Hilary!

I’ll check if there is an automatic reinforce setting. I think I did read something about that so I’ll make sure it’s off. Between that and making sure everything is threaded properly hopefully I can fix the problem. If not I’ll look for the book you suggested, I’m sure I can find it at the library.

• Wendy March 11, 2011 at 12:52 PM #

The book is amazing! She is quite the quilter.

• Jaclyn March 11, 2011 at 1:07 PM #

I requested her books from the library, will pick them up this weekend

3. Erica March 14, 2011 at 1:36 PM #

I have been sewing….forever, and have run into several machines that chew up the thread at the start. I simply keep small scraps near my machine and sew over them at the start and end of a seam or chain of piecing. I don’t have the thread nest issue at all. When a scrap gets thick and full of thread, I toss it and grab a new one (the pieces are maybe 1×2″). Good luck with your research!

• Jaclyn March 14, 2011 at 1:38 PM #

Thanks Erica, that’s exactly what I do now, I was hoping I could get rid of it though :(, but if I have to I’ll keep using it. Thanks for your comment!

4. mary June 4, 2011 at 6:31 PM #

Take two swatches of fabric for a test. Run your first one like however you normally do. Press your needle up button to get the needle in the full up position before removing the swatch, then use your cutter. At that point lift the foot and remove the swatch. You should have aprox 1 inch tails. Don’t touch them. Place your next swatch under the foot. Check to make sure your feed control is in nuetral, tension is on auto, check your LCD screen for anything else you may need to do– then start sitching– you should not get nest. I suspect you need some sewing instruction.

• Jaclyn June 4, 2011 at 9:11 PM #

Thank you for your comment. When using the auto cut there are no visible tails. I have done everything you suggested and have the same problem. I have also had others try my machine and they have the same problem.

5. Sam August 15, 2011 at 1:50 PM #

Hi – Similar to you, I just purchased a Horizon after quilting for 9 months and knowing I’d make use of a great machine for years to come! I’ve started using the auto thread cutter religiously, and I don’t have any tail from the bobbin. When I first load a bobbin, I always use a sample to get everything in order. The only time that I have any nesting at the beginning of a stitch is when I try to have a tail from the bottom and don’t hold the bobbin thread taut. One of the features that was demo’d on the machine before I purchased it was that you didn’t have to pull any length of bobbing thread when stitching, and it’s been working well. Hope this helps, and hope you’re still enjoying your machine!

6. Mama Sews Best September 6, 2012 at 9:35 PM #

Hi Jaclyn, did you ever figure out the “nesting” issue?

• Jaclyn September 6, 2012 at 9:36 PM #

I took it in for service. One of the problems was that the sensor was cutting the tails too short. It seems better now but still not perfect.

7. Dawn January 4, 2013 at 10:19 PM #

I have the same issue (thread bunching)…it seems the only solution is to hold the tails out of the way/make sure they’re to the back when I start a seam. Other than that, I love this thing!

• Sylvia January 21, 2013 at 9:57 AM #

Try starting with you needle in the down position. This has helped me on machines that do that.

• Jaclyn January 21, 2013 at 11:02 AM #

Thank you, I do usually do that and it seems to help.

8. Kristel Wyman November 22, 2013 at 4:12 PM #

this came up when i was searching for a backstitching problem i’m having with my new (to me) 7700… it’s bunching up a fair bit and just not looking very nice. were you backstitching for it to look like that?

• Jaclyn November 22, 2013 at 4:15 PM #

Hi, I haven’t had that problem so far. Depends on where I start, if I’m back stitching at the start then yes I get the regular bunching, otherwise it seems fine.

9. Gaye Knight August 27, 2014 at 2:51 PM #

I have had the Janome 7700 for 3 years and it is a VERY touchy machine. I have to remove the plate and clean lint once or twice during every small quilt. I also FREQENTLY have problems with the tension causing the stitch to pucker. I have been told it’s because of the thread but it happens with expensive thread as often as the Coats and Clark brand. I have taken it to the shop and once it was a nick in the bobbin case… But I just had to rip out seams again and I’m off to the shop to get them to look at it again. I never get through a project without fiddling with cleaning, needles, thread, and tension. I don’t have a consistent solution.

GK

10. Gaye Knight August 27, 2014 at 2:52 PM #

I gave up on using the lock stich – it always bunches

11. Jan Adkins March 27, 2017 at 5:03 PM #

I have a Janome 8900 and have the birds nest when using thread cutter, I have been told that is a disadvantage of the thread cutter, but know not everyone has this problem. Very frustrating.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Meet: My Machine! The Janome Horizon 7700 QCP | Jaclyn Quilts - March 18, 2013

[…] is not the first time I have written about my machine, the Janome Horizon 7700 QCP. I wrote a blog post shortly after I got it two years ago. A lot has changed since then so I thought it would be fun to […]