This quilt was based on one of the simple modern baby quilts (the pattern includes 3 different quilt designs) from Oh, Fransson! but it is much bigger and required some planning.
I started by making a little excel of how the quilt might look, then I calculated how much fabric I would need based on the final size and number of blocks I wanted. I needed to make sure I would have enough fabric based on how many different prints I selected:
Like I said in my previous posts it was pretty rudimentary but it worked out. I used 8 brown prints, 8 Blue prints, the Kona Charcoal Solid and a lot of Alexander Henry Witchy Stitchy Owls.
There are 54 of the owl blocks and I made 32 blue in brown and 32 brown in blue blocks so that I would have extra to do a row in the back.
After that is was a lot of cutting and sewing!
Here I have finished half of the coloured blocks, 1 owl block just to make sure I liked the grey I selected, and the other half of the coloured blocks are cut and ready to go.
Once I had all the coloured blocks finished I started putting them up on my wall, and slowly filled it in as I went.
I had about a million owl blocks to go (or 54):
Once that was all done I sewed all the blocks together, and then all the rows. Which I was obviously quite focused on because I didn’t take any pictures in progress.
Then I tinkered with the back until I was happy with the result:
Then I wrapped up the whole thing and took it to be quilted. 3 weeks later I got the quilt back and I was ready to trim the edges in the afternoon sun:
And machine sew one side of the binding to the front of the quilt:
Then I spent many hours on the couch watching TV while I hand stitched the other side of the binding down to the back. Gave it a quick wash and it was ready to go. This one was lots of fun to do.