Sewing Lessons

21 Jun

I am very new to sewing, the first time I sat in front of a sewing machine was only a little over a year ago when I took a quilting class. Then I got a new sewing machine and will admit that I don’t know how to use many of its features or even what many of them would even do if I knew how to use them! One of my summer sewing goals it to try my hand at some different kinds of sewing projects. I’d like to learn some basic skills beyond quilting.

I looked into some sewing classes around town but the summer selection is really limited and the thought of lugging the Janome Horizon around town was a little more than I wanted to do on a weekly basis. I decided that since I have a foundation already I would look for an online course. Enter the Home Ec online course!

I was already following the blogs of the instructors so when I saw this launched I decided to sign up (*ahem* yes, that was a few months ago). The course is for beginners and the projects are really cute, the skills build on each other and in the end I think I will have a lot more confidence beyond basic straight stitching. Of course quilting is my first love but I think the confidence will translate into better quality and more creative quilts.

I added the widget to my sidebar so you can always find the place to sign up if you decide it might help you out as well. I’ll blog about my projects as I make them so you can follow along with me. Now that work has settled down and summer is in full swing I’m ready to get back to sewing multiple times a week.

7 Responses to “Sewing Lessons”

1. Wendy June 21, 2011 at 11:17 AM #

Exciting! I’ve had the good fortune to be sewing for quite a while. I was sewing clothes in high school, and then my Grandma taught me how to quilt about the same time. I don’t sew clothes too often, but I do some minor alterations and repairs. I actually just finished making a lunch sack for Ryan and am going to attempt the Blossom bag. I haven’t FMQ-ed yet, but am looking forward to learning on 2 baby quilts I am hoping to start soon. (If this strike ever ends.)

• Jaclyn June 21, 2011 at 11:24 AM #

it’s one of the skills I wish I would have been open to learning from my mom, she knows how to sew but I was never interested, now she is too far away to help me on a regular basis!

FMQ is another summer quilting goal! I have taken a class though, I’m not too bad, just takes practice. I need to spend more time doodling the designs on paper to get used to the feel of it.

2. Debbie June 21, 2011 at 5:31 PM #

Good for you! Hope you have a great time with your classes.
    FMQ is still one of my goals too! I did take a class but need to do some regular practicing!!

• Jaclyn June 21, 2011 at 6:59 PM #

Yeah, I think FMQ is really all about doing it over and over and over. Once you get a feel for it I don’t find it too bad. Mine is always too tight though, I have a hard time making it open and spaced out properly.

3. cinzia allocca June 22, 2011 at 5:19 AM #

hi Jaclyn,
    I just hopped on over here after seeing your quilt on quilt story! I love it and many of your other quilts. I’ve had my sewing machine i think for about 14 yrs and didn’t learn about it’s many functions till years after i’d owned it. And when i look at things i made just a year or two ago, i can see that i am still getting better and better. Enjoy your lessons this summer! keep exploring! happy summer from a fellow canadian!
    P.S. tax season was rough for us too!

• Jaclyn June 22, 2011 at 9:23 AM #

Thanks so much for popping by! I know I still have a ton to learn but that’s half the fun 🙂

4. Pauline August 17, 2011 at 7:20 PM #

Funny–I just found that course on Pinterest, and am totally going to do it. i need to learn how to sew properly, and this course will be perfect for learning how.