Meet: My Machine! The Janome Horizon 7700 QCP

18 Mar

Today is my turn in the “Meet: My Machine!” blog hop hosted by Sew at Home Mummy and The Tilted Quilt.

The Tilted Quilt meet My Machine Linky Party

If you’re joining me from a hop link welcome to my blog, it’s really nice to have you here! My name is Jaclyn and I’ve spent the last 12 months at home with my daughter (thank you Canada for 1 year maternity leave). My sewing took a bit of a back seat to baby care but I’ve recently increased my sewing a lot in an effort to carve out more time for myself. Life is about to change again as I prepare to head back to my other life as an accountant during the day and transition Addie to full time daycare. I’m also co-chair of the Saskatoon Modern Quilt Guild which keeps me very busy.

Here is me and my girl just before Christmas (yep, we’re a little crazy!):

408550_10151396414542674_217671734_n

And here she is again approaching her first birthday (which is on the 25th of March):

Going for a ride

So I bet you want to learn more about my sewing machine?

This is not the first time I have written about my machine, the Janome Horizon 7700 QCP. I wrote a blog post shortly after I got it two years ago. A lot has changed since then so I thought it would be fun to participate in this blog hop and update my thoughts on my machine. Janome Horizon 7700 is still the #1 search term that lands people on my blog.

So here we go!

Meet My Machine (1 of 8)

My Current Machine: As I said I replaced my 1980s Kenmore with the Janome Horizon 7700 QCP about 2 years ago. After a year of sewing I had proven to myself that it was a hobby I was going to stick with, so I wanted a dedicated quilting machine. There isn’t much to say about why I chose the Horizon, I had heard many great things and it had all the features I wanted (large throat, auto needle down, auto thread cutter and table extension to name a few), so eventually my husband relented and let me buy it.

Meet My Machine (3 of 8)

My Favourite Accessory: Hard to say! I love that this machine comes with a ton of feet including a built in walking foot. I love the extension table for working on large projects, and I love the knee lifter (lifts the presser foot hands free!). In terms of things I bought that did not come with the machine I’d say my favourite is my Queen Supreme Slider, it makes FMQ so much easier (and I am a total FMQ beginner).

Meet My Machine (4 of 8)

Personalization: I am a type A purist. I don’t like mucking things up so I have no stickers or anything on my machine, she’s as clean and perfect as the day I bought her. And she doesn’t have a name either.

Meet My Machine (7 of 8)

Favourite Features: There is some overlap here with accessories. I love the free arm for the little bit of clothing construction I do. Needle down is a MUST in my opinion if you do any quilting, I use it all the time, and can’t imagine not having it. The auto thread cutter is a great feature and saves tons of time and thread. I also love the single hole needle plate. For any straight stitching it really helps stabilize the fabric and keeps things moving smoothly, I use it all the time.

Meet My Machine (5 of 8)

What could be better: Well, a few things actually. For one I am still having problems with the auto thread cutter. I have tried everything to get it to stop bunching and for now I am still running a leader through most of the time (kind of negates the feature I love so much). I have had many people tell me how to fix it, or that I am doing something wrong, but after having multiple people try it I know it is a problem with the machine. I’ve recently been put in contact with a repair guru who should be able to fix it (he agrees it’s a problem with the setting that holds the thread under the needle plate after it’s been cut) – and so I hope when I don’t need my machine for a week or so I can get it fixed. Another small annoyance is that the machine resets to default settings every time it is turned off, I wish it would stay on the setting that I last used so that I can pick up where I left off without a bunch of button pushing.

Sewing Space: I have some updates to come! You can see a preview on the first photo in this post. Regular readers will know my room is a bit of a work in progress and so I hope to share a full update in the coming weeks.

Thanks for stopping by to learn a little more about my machine.

Visit the other hoppers or join the link-up party at The Tilted Quilt!

SUNDAY, MARCH 17

WEDNESDAY, MARCH 20

Carly @ Citric Sugar

Celine @ Espritpatch

Patti @ A Yankee in Queen Liz’s Court

THURSDAY, MARCH 21

Stacey @ The Tilted Quilt

The Jolly Jabber Staff (Chelsey, Kimberly, Debbie)

Rachel @ Sew Happily Ever After!

FRIDAY, MARCH 22

Erika @ Sews it All

Lisa @ Vintage Modern Quilts

Adrianne @ On the Windy Side

50 Responses to “Meet: My Machine! The Janome Horizon 7700 QCP”

1. Ebony Love March 18, 2013 at 6:53 AM #

It’s a pretty color too! I love that we both upgraded from Kenmore’s. 🙂

2. Kathy @ Kwilty Pleasures March 18, 2013 at 8:22 AM #

Fun post and happy baby : ) Come meet my machines at http://kwiltypleasures.blogspot.com/2013/03/nq-day-meet-my-machines.html

• Jaclyn March 20, 2013 at 2:28 PM #

Thank you so much for stopping by my blog! I’m off to check out your post now.

On Mon, Mar 18, 2013 at 8:22 AM, Jaclyn Quilts

3. nissaMade March 18, 2013 at 8:45 AM #

Built in walking foot! I need to look into this machine!

• Jaclyn March 20, 2013 at 2:30 PM #

It really is amazing to have this feature – I think most of the dedicated quilting machines have it now.

On Mon, Mar 18, 2013 at 8:45 AM, Jaclyn Quilts

4. Julie @ The Crafty Quilter March 18, 2013 at 9:49 AM #

I have heard a lot of good things about your machine. I have a Bernina 440 and I love it. Do you do any FMQ on your machine? Just wondering if it’s a good machine for that. Thanks for sharing!

• Jaclyn March 20, 2013 at 2:31 PM #

Yes I do FMQ with this machine and so far it has been great. Thanks for stopping by my blog!

On Mon, Mar 18, 2013 at 9:49 AM, Jaclyn Quilts

5. Sewing Mom March 18, 2013 at 10:02 AM #

Looks like a fun machine! I’m sorry about the thread bunching…that would be slightly annoying. Hope you get it fixed soon. I’m really enjoying this blog hop. =)

• Jaclyn March 20, 2013 at 2:32 PM #

Glad you enjoyed the hop, and yes, I’m working on getting my bunching fixed. It is an annoying issue.

6. wendy March 18, 2013 at 10:10 AM #

sounds like a great machine, I have a bit of machine envy now!

• Jaclyn March 20, 2013 at 2:32 PM #

I find no matter what machine I read about a have a little envy, I think it’s normal 😉

7. Deb C March 18, 2013 at 11:41 AM #

You need a software update to fix the problem with the machine reverting back to the original settings. I have a Janome also. You can get the updates on the Janome website.

• Jaclyn March 20, 2013 at 2:33 PM #

I looked into this but I didn’t see anything for the Horizon on their website. I looked through the manual too and it doesn’t mention anything about updates via computer. Do you have any additional info for me?

8. Erika Mulvenna March 18, 2013 at 12:31 PM #

Your tot is so, so cute! Thanks for sharing about your machine, and I can’t wait to see more photos of your sewing space.

• Jaclyn March 20, 2013 at 2:33 PM #

Thanks for stopping by, it’s nice to have you.

9. Angela @ Heart of Charnwood March 18, 2013 at 3:45 PM #

Really enjoyed reading about your machine! :o)

• Jaclyn March 20, 2013 at 2:33 PM #

Thank you for stopping by.

On Mon, Mar 18, 2013 at 3:45 PM, Jaclyn Quilts

10. Shannon March 18, 2013 at 5:08 PM #

your machine sounds similar to my Pfaff.. I wonder if they are distant cousins? Can’t wait to see how you organize your new space!

• Jaclyn March 20, 2013 at 2:34 PM #

They very well could be related! And I hope to have an update on my space up soon.

On Mon, Mar 18, 2013 at 5:08 PM, Jaclyn Quilts

11. Stacey March 18, 2013 at 5:10 PM #

Great post! Thanks for the info on your machine and pics of your little cutie pie! Nice to meet you through the blog hop!

• Jaclyn March 20, 2013 at 2:34 PM #

Nice to meet you too!

On Mon, Mar 18, 2013 at 5:10 PM, Jaclyn Quilts

12. Jeanna March 18, 2013 at 5:41 PM #

I have the same machine, and I LOVE it! You can set your machine to resume the last stitch you were sewing, it is called “resumptive stitch” and is on page 26 of your owners manual. Good luck and happy sewing!

• Jaclyn March 20, 2013 at 2:34 PM #

Thank you! I am checking this out for sure.

On Mon, Mar 18, 2013 at 5:41 PM, Jaclyn Quilts

13. citricsugar March 18, 2013 at 6:08 PM #

I was JUST thinking that I wished my settings were preserved after the off/on cycle… I’ll have to check and see if my machine has that ‘resumptive stitch’ on it.

• Jaclyn March 20, 2013 at 2:35 PM #

Tinkering is required indeed.

On Mon, Mar 18, 2013 at 6:08 PM, Jaclyn Quilts

14. Erin @ Sew at Home Mummy March 18, 2013 at 6:53 PM #

Awesome post J! Thank you so much for participating in the hop!!

• Jaclyn March 20, 2013 at 2:35 PM #

Thanks for hosting Erin!

On Mon, Mar 18, 2013 at 6:53 PM, Jaclyn Quilts

15. 8machines March 18, 2013 at 8:20 PM #

Your machine is very pretty. I wanted the new Janome with embroidery but didnt have the credit. I did have a Bernina card so bought the new 780. I loved the look of that Janome though. Im waiting for some classes.

• Jaclyn March 20, 2013 at 2:35 PM #

It is a very pretty looking machine, I love the red. Thanks for stopping by.

On Mon, Mar 18, 2013 at 8:20 PM, Jaclyn Quilts

16. Karen Bergt March 18, 2013 at 11:01 PM #

I loved reading about your machine and seeing the pics of you beautiful little girl!! Thanks for taking the time to participate in the Machine Blog.

• Jaclyn March 20, 2013 at 2:36 PM #

Thanks for stopping by!

17. proudspirit57 March 19, 2013 at 1:16 AM #

It sounds like you have a wonderful machine…I too have a Janome Memory craft 6500 that I love.

• Jaclyn March 20, 2013 at 2:36 PM #

Janome makes a great machine, I’m glad you love yours as well.

On Tue, Mar 19, 2013 at 1:16 AM, Jaclyn Quilts

18. dawnincaDawn March 19, 2013 at 1:18 AM #

I have the same machine. Got it 2 1/2 yrs ago and it has been the best investment I ever made. I love everything about it. The one and only thing it doesn’t do that I wish it did is signal low bobbin. If they could have included that it would be perfect. Oh, and I don’t remember ever programming my machine to revert to previous settings when turned back on but it does. So yours should, too. It’s late now or I would go check my manual. Hope you get that straightened out and the bird’s nest thing too. I’ve not had that happen. Have a good week!

• Jaclyn March 20, 2013 at 2:37 PM #

Good to know! I’ll do some more reading to hopefully fix my issues. I also wish there was a low bobbin sensor, and a way to wind bobbins without unthreading the machine, that would be fantastic.

On Tue, Mar 19, 2013 at 1:18 AM, Jaclyn Quilts

19. Kara @me_and_elna March 19, 2013 at 7:58 AM #

Those are some AMAZING pictures! And that baby of yours- GAH!!! 🙂 Here’s where I blogged about my machine today- http://meandelna.blogspot.com/2013/03/meet-elna-and-her-crib.html .

• Jaclyn March 20, 2013 at 2:38 PM #

Thanks for stopping by, and yeah I think she’s pretty cute too 😉

On Tue, Mar 19, 2013 at 7:58 AM, Jaclyn Quilts

20. Kay Lemieux March 20, 2013 at 10:35 PM #

I have the same machine and love it. I haven’t experienced any of the problems you have. I do have a problem with the self threading needle fraying my thread.

ktreve (at) hotmail (dot) com

• Jaclyn March 23, 2013 at 4:53 PM #

I have that issue with the thread sometimes too if I don’t get it just right.

21. JoTickle March 23, 2013 at 4:48 PM #

Hi there! I’m one of those searchers who found your blog through the ‘janome 7700’ search! I’m trawling the internet because I’ve found an amazing deal secondhand but I’ve found out Janome doesn’t carry over warranties to second owners (So silly!) so I want to make sure I’m happy with it. In my searches the other day, I found this youtube tutorial on setting the machine to wake up to what you were doing before (at least, that’s how I understood it!) Hope it helps! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcyavcMso2w

• Jaclyn March 23, 2013 at 4:54 PM #

Good luck! It really is an amazing machine. And thanks to the comments on this post I now have my machine set to resume the last stitch!

22. Carolyn Meyer April 22, 2013 at 4:58 PM #

I purchased my Janome 7700, it has been a good machine so far. Just wish I could get rid of the bird nest problem when I first start to stitch. The machine has ben at the dealer 3 times now and he is not able to fix the problem. I just paid $70.00 shipping fee to mail the machine back to Janome, I’m hoping they are able to do something about this to me big problem. I just can’t have a machine making this big nest on every seam when I start to sew. Looking for answers to fix this problem. I hnate to have to trade the machine in for another more expensive model.
    Carolyn

23. Mary lewis February 9, 2014 at 4:28 AM #

Hi! I noticed it’s been a while since you posted this review and I was wondering if you hot the birds nest problem fixed and if you found out how to resume the stitch settings from when you turned the machine back on??

• Carolyn Meyer February 9, 2014 at 9:19 AM #

Still have the “bird nest” problem with my machine. The dealer does not know how to fix it and Janome was no help either when my dealer called him. So will have to live with it. Having to use a “leader” all the time is not what I like to do. The big problem is when you are in the middle of a quilt and want to start sewing, there is no way you can use the leader. For the rest of the machine it does what it is suppose to do, not all that happy with the embroidery stitches all the time, even with a stabilizer I have uneven stitches at times. Some day I may replace it with another machine I have been watching on TV but I love the red color of my machine still and do not want to trade it right now. Biggest problem is that there are no dealers in my area and the over an hour drive is just to much to deal with for me at this time. If any one has ANY suggestions on the “bird nesting” problem under the fabric when you start the machine, please be so kind and pass it on.

Carolyn

• Jaclyn February 11, 2014 at 9:32 PM #

I haven’t found a solution unfortunately. I use a leader almost all the time. When starting in the middle of the quilt I put the needle down and then up and use the needle thread to pull the bobbin thread up through the top. Then I hold the threads until I get going. No bunching this way but you do have to bury the threads. Hope that helps a little.

• Jaclyn February 11, 2014 at 9:29 PM #

I did figure out how to resume the settings! I can’t remember how do it off the top of my head but it’s in the manual. As for the bunching no fix so far.

24. Buying the 7700 March 4, 2014 at 5:59 PM #

Thinking of buying a janome 7700 but I’m little nervous. I’ve been a bernina snob for years. I do more clothing than quilts . Will that be a problem?

• Jaclyn March 8, 2014 at 9:47 PM #

I’m not sure as I don’t do much garment sewing myself! My suggestion is to find a dealer and test out the machine. I have sewn a few bags and dresses and haven’t had a problem.

25. Darla November 27, 2016 at 12:51 PM #

Can you tell me if this machine has the capability of a low bobbin warning? An actual sound?

A friend of a friend has one for sale ($1500.00) she’s letting me try it. But the ONE absolute MUST HAVE for me is a low bobbin warning. Friend Says it does. I’ve not been able to get Friend of Friend to show me. It’s not in the manual. Thanks ever so much!

26. Darla November 27, 2016 at 1:12 PM #

Oops. Went back and read ALL the posts. I see it does not have the main feature I require. I do costuming and running out of bobbin during a huge gathered section is unacceptable.

I’ll look for another. I think there’s a no frill Janome that does it along with thread snip, needle down AND separate bobbin winder. Just gotta find the best price now.

I’m not a quilter.

Thanks for your blog! My daughter was born on March 23. But she is 23 now.